One-page Magento checkout is a needed one for any e-commerce business whose goal is to increase the sales and keep up with the rapid changes taking place on the Web. Nowadays, users expect to make shopping online easy and checkout quickly. However, some e-commerce stores fail and lose their clients at the last step of purchasing.
A knotty checkout could be the key cause for abandoning and leaving the page. Life, as we see it digitally, is fast and efficient. Therefore, using custom Magento checkout makes sure the client logs out fast without any problems.
What you need to know about Magento one-page checkout
Basically, this checkout page is a single landing area for all the things required while paying. It makes online shopping much easier and faster. It helps to avoid any confusion, brings clarity and is more secure. That is why Magento one-page checkout development is one of the most useful things done recently for online businesses. The one-page process helps your store grow and expand exponentially.
So the one-page checkout features are as follows:
- All elements of the checkout process are placed on the same page.
- Only a few clicks are required before completing the purchasing process.
- Customers can open an account before making any purchase or use a guest checkout.
- Allows to add Google Analytics to compare how much people are going on from the cart page to checkout and to the “Thank you” page to compare data.
The checkout process is quite tedious itself and there are many types like step-by-step checkout process whereby each and every step opens up in a new tab. There are chances of having pages with the virus.
But one-page checkout eliminates any of them. It is user-friendly and this leaves the customers happy. And of course, there are more chances for them coming back to your website for more shopping. Additionally, the customers would recommend it and thus the company can flourish.
Magento developers also believe that one-step checkout extensions are better due to navigation processes. The process itself is easier than a multi-step method, and customers find it soothing to use.
Technical aspects of one-page checkout to pay attention to
Technically, Magento one-page checkout is easy to create. It doesn’t take much time to build a Magento checkout webpage. You just need to add an extension from Magento and you are good to go.
As it doesn’t take many skills, any tech person with limited knowledge can do it. However, one of the major issues faced by one-page checkout is the effect of technical faults. If there is a slight problem with the website, the whole sales process will be shut down or if one page is not loading then the whole system will shut down.
So let’s go through some of the main technical aspects that every developer should put into consideration before creating a custom checkout.
- To enable one-page checkout, first of all, you need to download the extension for the single page checkout from Magento. Secondly, you need to enable it. If it is disabled then the buttons required for checkout will not appear on a page.
- Checkout should be implemented using UI components as tabs, buttons, etc. Additionally, the most important sections like shipping info, review of the order/item, and payment details have to be involved in the checkout process.
- If people came to your site for the first time and want to buy a product, but they are not logged in, such users will be considered as guests. You can turn on the guest checkout from the admin panel to allow not registered users purchase items.
- Checkout becomes a one-step process automatically in case of virtual/downloadable product item. When creating a custom checkout for virtual products or services, you can exclude the shipping step.
Tips for a custom Magento one-page checkout
Now let’s proceed to the tips that will help you get the best experience of using Magento one-page checkout:
1. Offer shopping details
You may provide the details of the products that the customer bought while paying or check-out so that he or she goes through them before paying. It is possible that the customer accidentally added many things to the cart but only seeks for 1 or 2 items. Make sure you have a pop up box with the total price and the products for that sake.
2. Shopping cart sidebar
You also have a shopping cart sidebar with different options. This makes things simpler because now a client doesn’t have to go to a different webpage to see what is added and what is not added to the cart. This sidebar option is also a constant reminder to the customer to pay and thus leads to quicker sales. That is the main purpose of one-page checkout.
4. Payment failed emails
You must send emails to customers whose payment method for some reason did not work on customer’s correct email address. The email must consist of the reason of failure and other possible methods of payment and links to them.
5. Make it simple
Try to make the checkout page simple, so that customers don’t feel frustrated when checking out. Therefore, do not add unnecessary fields, and include various payment methods.
6. Make checking out mobile-friendly
Think about implementing the checkout page to devices, tablets, phones or iPads. A user-friendly design will help clients to checkout easily while they are on the move or at work, or when traveling.
Steps to create a custom Magento one-step checkout
Now you know the technical aspect of the one-step checkout method. Additionally, you need to know the steps in this one-page checkout process. The process is the same as the multi-step checkout but everything is happening on one page. Plus, it is faster, more efficient, and secure.
First, you must make a complete research of checkout web pages of the online shopping websites made by using Magento. It would be helpful to create a data analysis based on popularity and check the design of checkout pages they have.
2. Develop the page
Every checkout page is different therefore, you need to have basic language knowledge to develop a page of your own choice. You must provide all the UI parts of this one-page extension like login, billing information, shipping information, order review and so on.
Using the various templates that are available, you can create a custom one-step checkout. You can find templates in the one-step checkout folder. Simply select the template and make CSS and other visual changes that you want. Remember to save your template files on your active theme’s folder.
3. Add custom fields
For you to change the UI components of the one-step checkout use the one-stepcheckout_layout.xml. By using it, you can then remove any UI components that you don’t need. LayoutProcessor might also be used and is said to be more dynamic and helpful to add the custom field. The reason is that this processor uses the PHP logic. knockoutJs can also be used after this process to continue with further designing and developing the webpage. Also, you can add any additional fields that will give you a customized checkout.
4. Remove fields you don’t need
If you need to remove a field from the one-step checkout go use the one-stepcheckout_layout.xm. This step allows you to remove any unnecessary fields that might make the checking out too long or complicated.
Additionally, certain attributes can be used to hide some fields from the one-page checkout page. The attribute used in this case is “visible”. The validation of the fields can be changed based on your choice.
5. Include and configure additional data
While placing the order the customer might want to put some additional data. This option must also be enabled separately. You have to save any additional data to the Magento session. Once this has been done it becomes possible to process saved data.
If you want to configure data, you can go to the Admin panel, stores, select configuration and then one-step checkout. You can then go ahead to add the title and description of the checkout page. You can enable other options such as the Google API Key.
6. Making final checkout page
After all that coding, finally your Magento one-page checkout will be ready. You can add it to your online shopping website as an extension. You may have made some visual changes to the webpage and add text configuration too.
Important points to remember
Here are some points to keep in mind while building and using the one-page checkout method. The below points will help you to highlight the important factors while creating one-page checkout or making Magento checkout process customization for a faster and easier experience:
- Design according to the target audience. This allows you to add specific features that will allow for better customer conversion which could lead to high chances of customers completing the purchasing process.
- Always add a progress map indicator in the one-step checkout as this will show customers that they are on the right track.
- Do not add any sign-up forms in between the different fields of the checkout. Going against this principle can cause customers to abandon checkout as this is a distraction.
- Make sure your checkout is compatible with mobile devices. The rise in people preferring mobile devices is a clear indication that for a checkout to be successful it has to be mobile-friendly.
- Utilize compact forms so that customers don’t spend a lot of time when filling out contact forms. Long forms can discourage customers from proceeding through the checkout.
Examples of successful and unsuccessful Magento checkout
Before considering one-page checkout for your business, let’s review some examples. This way you will be more aware of details. Let’s start with a great example on Fab.com:
1. Successful checkout
You should checkout Fab.com for it’s awesome and inspiring checkout page. It uses a single page method. It is swift, fast and simple to use. Additionally, it has improved customer service. There is nothing much complicated about it.
2. Unsuccessful checkout
An example of an unsuccessful checkout page is the famous Aliexpress service. Simply because of its tedious multi-step checkout process. They have every step opening in a different webpage which means the process is long. That is why people prefer to select the things they like and do the actual payment later on.
Custom Magento one-step checkout is a must in every business and has a deeper effect on customers. Customers will return happy and satisfied after using such a service. It is easy to create a custom one-page checkout and the technicalities have already been explained. This one-page scheme has made sure both the business and the customers prosper in their own ways by saving time.